Happy Friday everyone!
It’s mid-October, which means life is going to start getting a little busier around here. We’re slowly approaching the high season in South Florida and that means work will soon start creeping up at my office. Gone are the lazy days of summer.
If you had a busy week, I hope you find the time to unwind this weekend. I don’t know about you, but my weekends are usually WAY busier than my weeks. I cram so many things in my weekend schedule that by the time Sunday rolls around, I’m completely worn out. Long run, gym, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning/organizing, dinner plans, etc… it all really adds up!
Now that it’s Friday and we’re in all a great mood, I want to share five things that made me happy this week:
1) The weather forecast calls for a windy weekend. Thankfully, Saturday morning will only be “breezy” and the big gusts won’t start until Sunday. Hopefully the breeze is just enough to keep me cool but not strong enough to slow me down during tomorrow’s long run. That would be great, wouldn’t it?
2) So, last night was time for my weekly Funky Fun Run with the Running Wild and Westin Resort staff. If you live in Fort Lauderdale and don’t know about this run yet, I highly recommend you check it out. We meet at the Running Wild store on Sunrise Boulevard every Thursday evening at 6:30pm and we run a 5k course on the beach. We end the run on the rooftop terrace of the Westin Resort on A1A, where local beer on tap, cold water and fresh fruit awaits us. Sounds really nice doesn’t it? We always have a blast. Come on down and join the fun!
3) My running buddy Rosangela is back from Europe! Let me tell you about Rosangela. She was the first runner that I met when I joined the Running Wild/Broward Pacers running group 5 years ago. Before that, I had never ventured outside to do any of my runs and I was basically just a gym rat. Oh sure, I did run, but only on the treadmill and only to keep fit. Running was just another type of cardiovascular exercise for me. I knew nothing about the sport (pace? what do you mean, what’s my pace? I just set the treadmill at 5.5 mph and I’m set…) and I wasn’t looking to progress as a runner.
Well, Rosangela was an experienced marathon runner back in her youth and she was active in the local running community. We started running together and we soon became friends, even meeting up for happy hours once in a while. Eventually I became quite a bit faster than her and we just couldn’t run together anymore. The only time we ever got a chance to catch up was before starting our runs, on the phone or at happy hour.
But now, guess what? My running endurance is pretty much back to where I was 5 years ago (thank you, UC and hot/humid summer!), which means that Rosangela and I can enjoy running together again. Actually, she’s going to be my pacer now for my slower runs until I can get my fitness back to where it was. So last night, Elizabeth, Rosangela and I got to run together and it was very motivating for me to get out there with them. Thanks, girls!
4) Reading Chicago marathon race recaps from other bloggers. Wow! I am so moved by the stories of sheer determination that I’ve been reading on this marathon. Especially Rachel’s story. It really makes me want to do this race one day. I also know a few runners who were in Chicago last Sunday and did GREAT – special shoutouts to Bob and Evan!
5) Trader Joe’s is now officially open in Fort Lauderdale. Woohoo! I wasn’t crazy enough to go on opening day and I think it’s better to wait until the hype dies down a bit before going over there, but you bet that TJ is the next place where I’ll be spending my grocery dinero. First on my list will be the pumpkin tortilla chips (which have 17% pumpkin puree for the perfect pumpkiny crunch according to Joe’s flyer) and the pumpkin or butternut squash raviolis. Humm.
So that’s it for now guys! Readers, tell me something that makes you happy right now?