Hello friends! Well well, it’s already Tuesday and I haven’t posted my week 3 summary of marathon training yet? Let’s get on with it!
- Monday: 3 mile run on Las Olas.
- Tuesday: Gavin’s birthday! So I took the day off from exercise since we had dinner plans with my parents that night.
- Wednesday: Too tired to get up early after the late night birthday celebration, so I did some strength training after work.
- Thursday: Back on track! 4.25 mile beach run after work with Elizabeth and Rosangela. We both end up staying a liiiitle too long at the post-run Westin rooftop terrace get together, but it was well worth it.
- Friday: Rest day! I thought I would make up for my missed Wednesday run but I didn’t mind an extra rest day too much, so I didn’t.
- Saturday: 7 mile beach run with Elizabeth. It was WINDY and the first 3.5 miles were not too pleasant. But I did it! Had to skip our usual post-run strength/stretching routine on the beach because Gavin needed the car by 10am and I still run too slow to make it home at a decent time.
- Sunday: 30 minutes of elliptical (I just felt like it—don’t laugh) followed by strength training at the gym (routine 2). It felt good.
Weekly total: 14.25 miles. 2 days of weight training, 1 day cross-training (30 min. elliptical).
Time to recap the good things that happened this week in both training and life:
1) Better motivation. I feel like my motivation is getting stronger. During my 7 mile run on Saturday, I experienced a little burst of energy and ran my last mile at half marathon pace (about 9:30 min/mile). It may had to do with the fact that my parking ticket was already expired by a few minutes and I was dying to get back to my car… but hey, I’ll take it! I just have to make sure that this motivational burst is not going to cause me to train too intensely too soon.
2) The humidity is going away! The weather is still warm here in South Florida, but gone is the crazy heat and humidity. The weather is no longer an obstacle to training and runs are becoming much more comfortable. I welcome that!
3) I am now almost halfway to my fundraising goal! So far I have raised close to $900 in less than a week. I am stunned by the generosity of my lovely friends and family. When I receive a donation, I don’t just get a feeling of “I’m getting close to my goal”. Sure, it’s nice to get closer and closer to my goal, but what’s really amazing is the feeling that the donors care about helping me and others who have IBD. I can’t thank them enough for helping me on this journey.
4) Canada has a new Prime Minister. The liberal party of Canada has won a majority in the House of Commons, making its leader Justin Trudeau the new Prime Minister. Why am I telling you this? Well first, I am Canadian (I grew up in Quebec and did my undergrad in Montreal) and second, little did I know that C-span was airing the Canadian election coverage. So the minute I got home from my run last night, I turn it on and watched while working on my abs in the living room. Couldn’t get better than that! Congratulations on your new PM, Canadians.
So that’s it for week 3 folks!