For the first time in months, I feel like I am starting to really enjoy my runs again. I was up bright and early at 4:30am on Saturday for my 6-miler on the beach. I love my Saturday morning long runs. I know this may seem crazy for those of you for whom weekends = sleeping in, but I really enjoy the quiet and calmness of the early weekend mornings.
Anyway, on to my training recap for last week!
- Monday: 3 mile run on Las Olas.
- Tuesday: Weight training at the gym after work. Elizabeth had to cancel our meeting at the track today so I took advantage of it to do some strength work. I did routine 1.
- Wednesday: 3 miles on Las Olas.
- Thursday: 4.25 mile beach run after work with the Running Wild crew. This is usually a 5k run that ends on the rooftop terrace of the Westin hotel, but since I had a feeling this wasn’t happening today, I just ran back to my car. Now that the sun sets earlier, the return portion of my run was in the dark. Goodbye summer.
- Friday: Rest day!
- Saturday: 6 mile beach run on my own. Elizabeth had to run a 5k with another Team member challenge so I met up with the Greater Fort Lauderdale Road Runners Club for an early 6am start to my long run. It had been a while and it’s nice to see the GFRRC gang again.
- Sunday: 12 mile beach bike ride with Gavin at a moderate effort. I fell in love with biking all over again and I became more determined to trade my car for the bike on my commute to the office. But the voice of reason took over and told me “maybe start with one day a week and see how it goes.” Riiight!
Weekly total: 16.25 miles. 1 day of weight training, 1 day cross-training (12-mile bike ride).
I really wanted to lift weights on Sunday too so I would meet my 2x/week strength training goal, but between cooking a double batch of pizza sauce, chicken broth and slow-cooker black beans and running a ton of errands, I was too tired/busy to make it happen. Oh well. Standing all day and lifting grocery bags will have to count!
I’ve learned a few things from this week’s training:
1) I need to start my long runs at 6 instead of 7am. The sun rises around 7:15 so this leaves me plenty of time to run before the sun is up. Once the sun rises, so does the heat and my discomfort. Plus, I love to start my runs in the dark while everyone is still sleeping. Although it’s still humid, the weather is definitely starting to feel a bit more comfortable.
2) Best post-workout treat: A bunch of pretzels and a bottle of chocolate-flavored Muscle Milk. This is the perfect mix of salty carbs + protein to replenish after a long, sweaty run. Must bring this in my cooler in the car for every long run from now on.
3) I feel strong during the first 3 miles but I’m forced to make several bathroom stops because of my UC. I finally get a break after 3 miles, but by then I become fatigued and my endurance seems to wither away. Hum. Thankfully, I can tackle both of these problems in the next few weeks.
So this is it for week 2 folks. Today is the first day of week 3 and I plan on starting it with a nice 3-mile run on Las Olas in about an hour and a half.