Are you happy it’s Friday? I know I am. I’m starting mine with some grocery shopping after work to start the weekend right. But not before I tell you five things that I deem are very important to share with you on this wonderful first Friday of November:
1) Today is Adolphe Sax’s birthday, a Belgian inventor and musician who lived in the nineteenth century. Or so I learned when I opened my Internet browser to Google’s newest Doodle. Interesting. I immediately figured out that he invented the saxophone. He also created the saxotromb, the saxhorn and the saxtuba.
Do you ever wonder how come inventors and people who have things named after them always have cool names? I mean, names that lend themselves to being made into words really well? Is that a coincidence, or were they put on this Earth to name something?
Okay, maybe the daguerreotype is an exception.
2) I’m now a walker. Yesterday after work, I put on my running clothes and shoes and drove to the park to meet with my running group. I had no intention of running. My doctor said walking was okay as long as I don’t find it tiring. So darn it, I’ll walk my runs now (recall my post yesterday where I talk about the benefit of fitness routine when not running). I walked the whole 1.5 mile to the Westin to meet with my other running group for a beer. It was weird getting there early. But the upside is that nobody asked me whether I ran to Miami and back (one way to tell I am anemic is the fact that I was always the last one to get to the Westin).
3) Goodness Knows bars. These babies were 2 for 1 at my grocery store last week. I couldn’t resist. The verdict? I love them! I like how they are split in 4 pieces. I’m not sure why, but I like to chop my energy bars instead of eating the whole thing out of the wrapper. Goodness Knows gets it.
4) Volunteering at the 13.1 race next Sunday. Since I am not participating in the 13.1 Michelob Ultra Half Marathon taking place in Fort Lauderdale next weekend, I will be up and early with my running group giving medals to the runners at the finish line. How cool is that? I’ll get to see the runners during the best moment of the race.
You can take running away from me, but you can’t take me away from running…
5) I found the perfect recipe for my Thanksgiving pumpkin dessert. Every year, I’m in charge of making the pumpkin pie for my family’s Thanksgiving meal. My pumpkin pie was always the old-fashioned, traditional type (recipe here!). I can be so conservative. Well no more my friends! I found a ridiculously drool-inducing recipe for pumpkin cheesecake in the latest issue of American Life (this free magazine I get in the mail thanks to a realtor I never met and never will). I’m totally giving this one a try—it’s time to make the pumpkin pie a bit more decadent. I’ll make sure to post the recipe if it’s a hit.
Speaking of recipes, one is coming to you this weekend. I promise it won’t be a salad this time. I won’t tell you what it is just yet but I will tell you that it’s a breakfast recipe, it’s sweet, it’s easy and quick to prepare, and it’s DELICIOUS.
Readers, what are your plans this weekend? I’m expecting to spend a quarter of my weekend cleaning the house. We were too wrapped up in Halloween to do it last weekend so we now have a lot of catching up to do…